Wahala by Nikki May (Book Review)

 









Fiction- Sisterhood| friendship|Nigerian|NigerianslivingintheUK| Love|Thriller|Biracial|humorous|Women fiction|racism|Feminism.

✨suitable for ages 17 and up


🔺 mention of loss of loved one


Published 2022|Custom house | Harper Collins


287 pages


34 chapters, excluding an epilogue and prologue





Wahala is the debut novel by Nikki May.

Ronke, Boo(Bukola) and Simi are a tight trio. They are a sisterhood , joint by the solidarity in being (half caste) AKA biracial

*biracial people are called half caste.

It is a paradisiacal form of relationship, tied by good food, mostly Nigerian buka food, the wins they share, their educational alma mater and love. But there is trouble in paradise when Isobel comes into the picture.

Flashy Elegant Rich Expensive Isobel. Amebo, runny mouth, busybody, wahala...what else can we call her?

Four is trouble indeed na that three be company. Will the trio's friendship survive post Isobel's wahala?


     Sigh…… I mean big sigh...Luke nawa o!

This book was an incredible page turner. I read this book in two sittings. 

Omo×1000000😹

It wasn't that long, but considering how busy I am these days with writing gigs, that was fast! I like how easy going it was and still trapping. I didn't know it was going to take the turn it took until it took that turn. Which is unusual for me. I have predicted  the end of your favourite thriller/mystery right from the first chapter. I liked the infusion of Lagos and Ronke's foodie side.

* Ronke is my favourite character from the book>>>>> 

Why?

Cozzz she is a foodie… like me.

I liked Aunty K's character. Well even though she was subtly a misogynistic woman. I would like to have an ain't like that...easy to talk to and understands food like me.

My least liked character should be Kayode…. I actually like Isobel. What happened to him was sadly wrong in the end, but well I was mostly sad because of Ronke.

Am I satisfied with the ending? Yes I totally am. I didn't like the result of the climax. 

  Overall the book is a  20/20. Nikki May didn't write the book with the style of an amateur or a début but it had this familiar style of writing that  wrapped around me. Can't wait to read more from Nikki!

Comments

Popular Posts