Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim (book review)

 



Alfred. A knopf|2021


382 pages

40 chapters

Young adult friendly✨


Adventure, magic, Japanese, Asian, dragons, princes, princesses, love, curses.


Six Crimson Cranes….is mind blowing. Omg, I haven't read something so good in a while. It was a dose of ecstasy. And I haven't read anything like this. It is a great adventure read, with magic, love, mischief and lots of comic relief. I found it really witty and humorous. I really loved the character of Shiori.

Six Crimson Cranes is a total page turner. And I read it in a single sitting , I remember not sleeping all through the night(oops), and it was a strange feeling not wanting to finish it too. This is the first Elizabeth Lim I've read and I didn't regret it,I am looking forward to reading more. Totally!

 


 The first line;


The bottom of the lake tasted like mud, salt, and regret. 


...was a pull in line for me, but the subsequent lines got me confused... Like? What's going on...and why is she drowning?  Which is not a turn off by the way .. I just knew I wasn't attracted to this book for nothing. Yes I was attracted to it, I felt connected, I literally pinned for it, both covers, when I saw it on a bookstagram page. Yeah...I get attracted to books.  Also ...I liked the way the words described the lovely scenery. Did I mention that the book was really funny? I also like the way her brothers are really protective of her, it is so cute. And I also liked that Shiori didn't let herself be babied for long, she fought for herself, she didn't wait to be saved. This book made me laugh, cry, even scream. Because Elizabeth Lim kept playing with my head, ha! 

I just had to surrender and stop trying to predict the end(I rarely do that), the book was completely unpredictable. 


I like that it wasn't an easy ride. The book wasn't plain or flimsy. And it kept me on edge. Also I loveeee!! That the book isn't stereotypical...aish I want to tell you why it isn't stereotypical but that would be a spoiler. Remember this is a spoiler free zone! I liked the ending too, it seems like this would be a duology or trilogy I don't know which.

  Shiori is strong willed, witty, mischievous and funny. She was really a well built/formed character.

And Takkan and Shiori's love made my heart swell!!!!!!!!

I give this 20/20

Five starssssss

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Comments

Popular Posts