Dealing with Self Doubt

 



I promised to make a post about self doubt. So here it is.


     Every Author, Every writer has self doubts. Bestseller , indie, pitching, upcoming, learning. 

I am not yet published yet, neither self-published. As a writer , aspiring author , I sometimes suffer from self doubt.

The truth is , it is normal to feel that way sometimes. But it isn't normal to quit!


"I’m afraid of failing at whatever story I’m writing—that it won’t come up for me, or that I won’t be able to finish it"

—Stephen King, Rolling Stone 2014 interview.

  Stephen King had won many awards and most of his books became best sellers. He is one of the richest writers in the world, with a net worth of $400 million.






  We compare ourselves to other people's writing, we have doubts , we question ourselves , if our stories are really worth telling  , we listen to that criticizing 'inner voice', like yesterday I was watching TV, and that inner voice asked me if , my current wip was worth finishing, and that wouldn't it be better to move on to other ideas I gave that are better and more worthy of being published. I was down, but yeah ,I told it that I would finish it no matter what. Writer's don't quit. Self doubt can cause writer's block. We shouldn't beat ourselves down , we should lift ourselves up. We shouldn't compare, we should focus on ourselves, we shouldn't ignore our weaknesses, but work on them. We shouldn't listen to the inner voice, we should tell it that we won't quit. We should feed our doubt but feed our confidence.

  Whenever I am down, and in doubt ,I talk to friends or read what I have written, my short stories, my wips , my articles. When you read it calmly, you would discover that you are better than you thought. 

  Another thing is we should make room for correction, but not negativism or self doubt or pessimism. Take classes, read books. Be in constant touch with your mentors. Join writing communities. Get friends who are writers that will inspire you. The only way you can stop self doubt is you , because it is no one else but you , who is doubting yourself. 

I am going to outline ways to overcome self doubt. 


  1. Have someone you can talk to whenever you feel down, parents , siblings, friends,romantic partners.

  2. Music! Music heals the soul.

  3. Read what you wrote before.

  4. Acquire more hobbies. Don't just stay holed up in your room writing all day. Go out for walks, bake, cook, make friends.

  5. Read books that you love.

  6. Stay in touch with your mentor.

  7. Tell that criticizing inner voice, NO!

  8. Self doubting is normal, so own it and crush it!

  9. You don't have to get it right at first. Just express yourself through the words, write what you have to write them by over it again afterwards.

  10. Believe in yourself. I know it is not that simple, but you have to. See what no one else but you can see. See your future book's title on the New York times Bestselling list!

  11. Finally, Always remind yourself that you are talented , great and you can do it!!




  Self doubt is a writer's greatest enemy, it hinders and sets back. So I want you to make a stand today, You can do it. 

You can write that book. Pick up your pen, press that button. The 10,000 words plus will start with a single letter. Do it in your own way, do it in your own style.






"I seek strength, not to be greater than others, but to fight my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself."

―P.C. Cast

Comments

Popular Posts