Stay Sweet - Book Review

 




   Amelia just recently graduated from high school, everything is sort of perfect, she is going to Gibbons after this summer, which means freedom! And she wants this summer to be perfect too. She wants to spend everyday with her best friend Cate, before she goes to Truman and also  work hard at Meade Creamy, the ice cream stand she has been working at for three summers. This summer would be the fourth. 

  Meade Creamy started in 1945. It started when Molly Meade made ice cream to comfort her friends. They were all young and all their fiances had gone to war(world war II). Ever since only girls have been working at the ice cream stand , bonding and having fun. Which I found really sweet!

In many ways, Stay sweet is a feminist novel. The fact that Molly Meade stood up to her parents and fiancé and made something for herself is very admirable.

I don't want to put in any spoilers, but Molly Meade is a badass. I kind of like the plot twist in the end.

Although, I am not satisfied with the end, Like all Siobhan Vivian endings, it makes you curious. I hope Amelia becomes successful though!  Anyway, I like that it is not a happily ever after ending, that would piss me off too. 


   Grady's and Amelia's romance was like a teenage sweet  version of those Secretary-boss, Employee- Employer romances in those cheesy Harlequin like novels. But there is a big difference. Amelia is a boss lady in her own she is hardworking, passionate, sweet and smart. 

   Reading Stay sweet was overall exciting, just like every other Siobhan Vivian I have read. I have read seven books now, and I am always never disappointed. I read The Last boy and girl in the World recently but I can't bring myself to write about it yet, because well ,that story is so … I don't have words to describe it yet.

  So , I really like Amelia, she is nice, she is kind and she looks pretty on the cover. Although she is kind of naive and well some of her decisions were irrational, like telling Cate about the recipe, and telling her about Grady not having it.  I never liked Cate or trusted her from the beginning, I was afraid she would leak the secret or tell someone apart from the Meade Creamery girls that the recipe was missing. I like Grady, I kind of like him, I also like Frankie Ko, and I wish she had a more active role in the beginning. Yeah, I don't like Cate and Amelia shouldn't be friends with someone like her, but yeah stuff like that happens. 

  

286 pages

49 chapters ( I wished there was more)

2018, Simon Schuster ,New York.


Comments

Popular Posts